Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day

I think that May Day might be a communist holiday, but I'm not sure.

Work was cool today. I was very busy and I think my preceptor was getting kind of impatient with me being a little behind the 8 ball, but I was keeping up alright. I'm excited about getting off of orientation in about a month. That will be good times. I was in the Neuro ICU today (possibly my favorite wing of our unit). One patient had a hemorrhagic stroke yesterday and the other has a massive cerebral infarction over night.
There are always ethical dillemas in neuro. The only one that really gets me is witholding nutrition. Not feeding someone who is capable of taking enteral nutrition goes against every nursing instinct I have. I can understand taking people off of ventilators or medications, but witholding feedings just gets me.

My guitar lesson was subpar. I felt like I had a decent grasp on the music, but each week we add new layers of complexity to what I'm supposed to be doing, so I'm always just falling short of our goals, but improving none the less. For one thing, I can't get my nails right. This impedes my tone a great deal. I need to just let them grow and quit messing with them. My guitar lessons should go much smoother from now on, since I am finishing school next week (although I'm taking IV Therapy in the summer, it shouldn't be much of a challange).

No comments: